Purpose is to encourage excellence in print and broadcast journalism. Students attending the University of Missouri-Columbia, University of Missouri-Kansas City, the University of Kansas and Kansas State University are eligible to apply. Please download the application below.
Students entering their senior year of an undergraduate program. (90 credit hours)
Earned a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
The applicant must submit the following with this application:
- A 250-word essay describing post-graduate professional intentions.
- For print-journalism students: a selection (maximum 4) of samples of reportage and feature writing. (Not stapled, one side of sheet only, text not reduced in size. Page reduction acceptable only to show display of piece.)
- For broadcast-journalism students: a brief narration track with outline (or finished script) for a 10-minute radio or television feature. Samples will be evaluated on the basis of style and originality.
- A summary of experience in the field, i.e. editorships or on-air reporting with university publications or stations, or internships with news organizations.
- A letter of recommendation from principal professor or faculty advisor, evaluating the applicant’s promise as a journalist.