Organized in 2002, Heartland Utilities for Energy Efficiency (HUEE) represents electric and gas utilities in the Kansas City region. Its purpose is to promote energy efficiency through energy education, resources, and actions to help assure a secure energy future for area residents. The HUEE board will review all requests for funding.
For information on HUEE's PSA Video Contest, please visit https://www.growyourgiving.org/grant/heartland-utilities-energy-efficiency-psa-video-contest.
Geographical Boundaries and Population to be Served
This program will operate throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area, which can be generally defined as Cass, Clay, Jackson, Platte and Ray counties in Missouri; Johnson, Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties in Kansas. In addition, your organization’s utility provider must be one of the following: Atmos Energy, Independence Power & Light, Kansas City Board of Public Utilities, Platte-Clay Electric Cooperative, Kansas Gas Service or Spire.
All organizations applying for a grant must be a not-for-profit [501 (c)(3)] in the state of Kansas or Missouri. Grant recipients are eligible to apply annually unless your organization was approved and received a grant within the past two year period. Priority will be given to groups with a successful track record and/or well established partnerships with other organizations that are participating in the program.
Areas of Primary Focus
HUEE will provide grants to organizations focusing on providing energy efficiency education activities and/or the adoption of energy efficiency measures in the residential sector. Grass roots outreach efforts focused on neighborhoods and/or specific populations are encouraged. Existing programs where value added can be achieved by additional funding are encouraged to apply for grant funds. Activities with a focus on the following will be given priority:
- Housing stock built prior to 1990;
- Increasing energy efficiency education awareness;
- Programs focusing on low/moderate income families including education and following up on issues that need to be resolved (a third party may need to be consulted);
- General information and techniques to increase energy efficiency; rather than a specific fuel, device, or energy source
- Purchase and/or installation of residential energy efficient devices i.e. caulking, weather-stripping, outlet/light switch gaskets, low flow faucet aerators and showerheads, water heater insulation pipe wrap, and minor exterior home repair to reduce air infiltration. (Limitations will be at the discretion of the HUEE board.)
- Labor or materials to weatherize homes in conjunction with a larger program (funding will be considered for small or incidental items; Unit costs must be delineated in the proposal); total costs not to exceed $5,000.00 per grant approved.
In general, HUEE will not award grants for the following:
- Basic or applied research
- Public awareness through paid advertising
- Payment of consumers’ utility bills
- Travel expenses
- Debt reduction
- Capital campaigns
- Event expenses
Grant Funding Amount
Grants can range from $500 up to $5,000. The HUEE Board reserves its right to pick and choose projects it feels best meets the criteria of the program and goals of the organization.
Grant application may be submitted at any time and will be reviewed at the next regularly scheduled monthly HUEE board meeting. Grant recipients will be promptly notified of the decision of the board
Payment of Grant Funds
Grant funds will be paid when the project is approved. If materials are purchased, copies of invoicing must accompany payment request. A progress report(s) of project is required. The board, upon approval of the grant, will confirm the reporting requirement based upon the project (i.e. monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and/or end of project).
Procedures for Grant Seekers:
Review your organization's Nonprofit Profile to ensure that all information is current. For questions about updating your profile or having REVIEWED status, please contact the Donor Relations and Education Team at 816.842.0388 or email@example.com.
In order to better serve funders and grantees, we are transitioning to new application software. We appreciate your patience during this transition. For technical assistance with the application process or questions about the transition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 816.627.3452.
Click here to access the online application.
If this is your first time accessing the application software, please click the Register button in the upper right hand corner. If you are a first time user, but your organization has an application account, please contact email@example.com or 816.627.3452 to be added to your organization.