Recommend Donor-Advised Funds with the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation
Your Clients Support Charities Through Our Donor-Advised Funds, While You Continue Managing the Assets
If charitable giving is on your client’s radar, consider having a conversation about establishing a donor-advised fund through the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation. Our donor-advised funds not only provide a value-added service that you can manage, but also make a meaningful impact on your clients and the causes most near and dear to their hearts.
We help you understand and assess tax-saving options to make the most of your client’s charitable giving, and our donor-advised funds maximize your business with your clients while you continue managing those funds. The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation is nationally recognized for our ability to handle complex charitable transactions.
What is the Financial Advisor Program?
Our financial advisor program is a win-win for you and your clients. Your client can use a donor-advised fund to support the causes they care about, and you can manage your client’s charitable assets after they are donated to the fund. Both you and your clients will have access to a knowledgeable staff of professionals who empower donors to become organized and efficient philanthropists. Additionally, there is no fee or minimum fund balance required to participate in the financial advisor program. The financial advisor program requires financial advisors to adhere to the Community Foundation’s professional and industry standards and the financial advisor program guidelines.
What is a Donor-Advised Fund?
Donor-advised funds are charitable savings account that grow tax free. Our donor-advised funds make charitable giving easy, efficient and rewarding without unnecessary rules or limitations.
- Your clients can choose to set up the fund under the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation or our national entity, Greater Horizons.
- You can choose to manage the assets of the fund on your own platform, along with the rest of your client’s wealth portfolio. Or, if you’d prefer, your client can invest their assets in the Community Foundation’s investment pools.
- Your clients contribute cash, stock or other complex assets to the fund and their charitable dollars grow tax free.
- Your clients receive online access to their fund and are able to easily request grants, track the fund’s charitable activity and access quarterly fund statements.
- Your clients can name successor advisors to their fund, involving future generations in their charitable goals and giving, allowing you to establish and foster connections with the next generation.
Maximize Your Client’s Charitable Giving
Clients may be able to avoid capital gains tax on gifts of appreciated assets. The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation is a public charity, so your clients will receive the maximum tax deductions allowed by law for their donations. Even if your clients would ordinarily take the standard deduction, now at higher levels under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, they can continue to support the charities they care about with help of a donor-advised fund and a tax strategy known as bunching.
There is no minimum dollar amount required to establish a donor-advised fund. There are also no minimums for gifts to the fund or grants from the fund. Each fund is assessed an annual administrative fee on a monthly basis.
Bequest: Name Your Client’s Donor-Advised Fund as a Beneficiary of a Retirement Plan or Life Insurance Policy
If you have a client who wants to name their fund at the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation as a beneficiary of their life insurance policy or retirement plan account, the following information may be helpful in completing their beneficiary designation forms.
Greater Kansas City Community Foundation
1055 Broadway Boulevard, Suite 130
Kansas City, MO 64105
The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation is a 501(c)(3) public charity. Our tax identification number (EIN) is 43-1152398.
Our staff will be happy to work with you and your client to establish a fund during your client’s lifetime to receive assets at their death. By working together ahead of time, we can ensure your client’s fund will carry out their charitable goals beyond their lifetime.
Identify Your Ideal Clients
Think about your clients who fit the descriptions below – they might be an ideal fit for a donor-advised fund.
- Want to create and leave a legacy for future generations
- Desire a charitable tax deduction now with the flexibility to make distributions in the future
- Want to grow their contributions tax-free over time
- Are in a transition phase of life – empty nest, nearing retirement, involved in estate planning
- Plan to sell a private company
- Are holding appreciated assets (publicly traded securities or other complex assets) and have high capital gains tax exposure
- Are private about their wealth and/or giving
- Are too busy to handle the administrative side of giving