Use Donor-Advised Funds with the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation to Meet Your Client’s Tax Needs
Donor-Advised Funds Make Charitable Giving Easier
Donor-advised funds take the complications, limitations and deduction inefficiencies out of charitable giving. Once a donor-advised fund is funded with your client’s donation of cash, stock or complex assets, those contributions offer maximum tax benefits to your client and streamlined documentation for you. Plus, you will be connecting your clients with the most trusted leader in the philanthropic field, gaining access to our in-depth knowledge of charitable giving programs.
There is no minimum dollar amount required to establish a donor-advised fund. There are also no minimums for gifts to the fund or grants from the fund. Each fund is assessed an administrative fee on a monthly basis.
Maximize Your Client’s Charitable Giving and Tax Savings at the Same Time
Donor-advised funds can help your clients receive maximum tax benefits while maintaining their same level and frequency of financial support to charities across the country. The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation is a public charity, so your clients will receive the maximum tax deduction allowed by law when making contributions to their donor-advised fund, and may be able to avoid capital gains tax on gifts of appreciated assets. Your clients are eligible for a tax deduction on the amounts they contribute to their donor-advised fund. Regardless of how many charities your clients support through their fund, there is just one tax receipt for each donation made to their donor-advised fund.
What is a Donor-Advised Fund?
Our donor-advised funds make charitable giving easy, efficient and rewarding without unnecessary rules or limitations.
- Your clients can choose to set up the fund under the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation or our national entity, Greater Horizons.
- Your clients can choose to invest their assets in the Community Foundation’s investment pools or have their financial advisor manage the assets of the fund.
- Your clients contribute cash, stock or other complex assets to the fund and their charitable dollars grow tax free.
- Your clients receive online access to their fund and are able to easily request grants, track the fund’s charitable activity and access quarterly fund statements.
- Your clients can name successor advisors to their fund, involving future generations in their charitable goals and giving, allowing you to establish and foster connections with the next generation.
Identify Your Ideal Clients
Think about your clients who fit the descriptions below – they might be an ideal fit for a donor-advised fund.
- Are in a transition phase of life – empty nest, nearing retirement, involved in estate planning
- Want to create and leave a legacy for future generations
- Desire a charitable tax deduction now with the flexibility to make distributions in the future
- Want to grow their contributions tax-free over time
- Are holding appreciated assets (publicly traded securities or other complex assets) and have high capital gains tax exposure
- Plan to sell a private company
- Are private about their wealth and/or giving