The Homelessness Trust Funds were established in 1988 at The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation to serve as an endowment for assistance to homeless individuals and those in danger of becoming homeless. Each year, grants are made from the interest income generated by the fund while the principal remains intact. Grants are made to organizations for distribution to eligible individuals. The original donors to the Homelessness Trust Funds placed geographic restrictions on the grants. An advisory committee oversees the funds and all grant decisions. Only one grant per eligible/selected agency will be awarded. Organizations with more than one location must determine which location will apply or how one grant may be split between the different locations.
The application will be available online Monday, June 10, 2019.
The application deadline is Wednesday, July 31, 2019.
Grant Restrictions and Requirements:
- Applicant must have current 501(c)(3) status.
- Applicant must have primary office in Jackson County, Missouri or Kansas City, Missouri.
- Applicant mission statement must be directed towards assistance to homeless persons or those at imminent risk of becoming homeless.
- Applicant must offer services on a regular basis as of the date of grant application to persons who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.
- Applicant must be a participant in the MAACLink Homelessness Network. For more information, contact Jill Gillespie at the Mid America Assistance Coalition by calling 816.561.2727 ext. 112.
- Applicant will be required to send those who will perform the MAACLink data entry function to one of two MAACLink trainings in September.
- Applicant must be a dues paying member of the Greater Kansas City Coalition to End Homelessness. You can download the Membership Application from the Coalition's website at www.gkcceh.org. For more information, contact 816.924.7997.
- Applicants who have a previously received Homelessness Trust Fund grant must show a zero-balance in the MAACLink database by July 1, 2019 to be considered for a subsequent grant.
Grant funds may be expended for any of the following activities:
- Obtaining and/or reproducing clients' personal identification documents
- Obtaining work-specific clothing
- Commercial storage for clients' personal possessions
- Client transportation (excluding gas cards)
- Obtaining emergency medicines for client (excluding all dental)
- Obtaining prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses for client or other durable medical equipment (excluding all dental)
- Other emergency assistance needs of clients (excluding rent, mortgage and utility deposits and payments; home repair expenses; and normal agency operating costs)
Grant funds may be expended on the following individuals
- Persons receiving grant funds shall verify that they understand themselves to be residents of Kansas City, Missouri, or Jackson County, Missouri.
- Recipients shall have a combined gross income of not more than 150% of the federal poverty guidelines and shall be homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.
- Agencies will be required to demonstrate that the grant will be used to implement expanded services, not replace other funds for on-going efforts.
- The grant application will be no more than 10-15% of the current agency budget.
- Once obtained, the grant funding will be sustainable by the agency over the next 3 years.
- Dollars should be used in collaboration with other agencies whenever possible.
- A portion of the awarded grant funding, no more than 20%, can be used for operational or staffing costs of the grant program.
Each applicant may request a grant of up to $10,000. No more than one application will be considered from any applicant.
- Application Available: June 10, 2019
- Application Deadline: July 31, 2019
Applicants will be notified in writing of the decisions of the Homelessness Trust Funds Advisory Committee in late August or early September 2018. Grant checks will be issued at October trainings.
Procedures for Grant Seekers:
Review your organization's Nonprofit Profile to ensure that all information is current. For questions about updating your profile or having REVIEWED status, please contact the Donor Relations and Education Team at 816.842.0388 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications must be submitted online by 5:00 p.m. on the due date through the internet grant application module (iGAM).
In order to better serve funders and grantees, we are transitioning to new application software. We appreciate your patience during this transition. For technical assistance with the application process or questions about the transition, please contact email@example.com or 816.627.3452.
Click here to access the online application.
If this is your first time accessing the application software, please click the Register button in the upper right hand corner. If you are a first time user, but your organization has an application account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 816.627.3452 to be added to your organization.
The following forms are requested as a part of the online progress report.