The Hunt Family Foundation, formerly the Chiefs Children’s Fund, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established by the Hunt family in 1983 to support charitable agencies in the greater Kansas City community. Through philanthropy and community programs, the Foundation provides vital assistance to over 125 area charities each year. The Chiefs Charity Game, which will celebrate over 30 years of existence this year, is one of the largest of its kind in the National Football League.
In 2014, the Kansas City Chiefs will select one organization to have the opportunity to be the beneficiary of the Chiefs Charity Game for 2015. The chosen organization will receive 90% of the proceeds from the Chiefs Charity Game, with the remaining 10% of the proceeds dedicated to the sustainability of the Chiefs Charity Game and its future beneficiaries through the Hunt Family Foundation. Annually, the game raises approximately $350,000 - $500,000. The selected recipient will be announced in 2014.
The Chiefs Charity Game represents an opportunity for the selected organization to establish a signature partnership with the Kansas City Chiefs. The selected beneficiary will solicit Chiefs Charity Game donors and sponsors from the selected organization’s existing individual and corporate donors as well as new donors. As the Chiefs Charity Game (and smaller game related events) will be the major fundraiser for the beneficiary, organizations should keep in mind that it may be difficult to appeal to your donor base for both the Chiefs Charity Game and other large fundraisers. Please note the date of the 2015 Chiefs Charity Game will not be announced until the team's schedule is released in April or May 2015. The Chiefs Charity Game traditionally takes place in August each year.
The selected beneficiary will receive a minimum of 3,000 pre-season and regular season game tickets valued at $75,000. The charity will, in turn, be able to package those tickets with other Kansas City Chiefs assets to create multiple sponsorship opportunities for potential donors. Assets may include, but are not limited to, trips to Kansas City Chiefs road games, donated suites at Arrowhead Stadium, on-field pre-game opportunities and Training Camp VIP tent access.
The beneficiary will be required to devote at least one (1) full-time staff member to the game for the year prior to the game, and, at times, will need additional staff support to plan and carry out fundraising. The beneficiary will need full support from its board, one (1) or two (2) visionary event chairpersons and a volunteer base to assist with fundraising and other needs.
The beneficiary will have the opportunity to use the Chiefs Charity Game logo within its promotional materials and will work with the Kansas City Chiefs to understand the expectations for fundraising activities, pre-game activities and game day. A more detailed Memorandum of Understanding that establishes the responsibilities of the beneficiary and the Kansas City Chiefs will be executed prior to the announcement of the selected organization.
The Kansas City Chiefs will select an organization to be the beneficiary for the 2015 Chiefs Charity Game. The selected organization will continue to be the beneficiary for up to two additional years so long as the conditions of the partnership are met each year.
Grant Information Session:
The Kansas City Chiefs and the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation will hold grant information sessions on Monday April 14, 2014 at 9a.m. and 11a.m. The grant information sessions will provide organizations with an opportunity to learn more about the Chiefs Charity Game, as well as answer questions about the application and selection process.
To register for the Monday, April 14, 2014 9:00 a.m. session click HERE
To register for the Monday, April 14, 2014 11:00 a.m. session click HERE
Due to space limitations, we ask that organizations send only one representative. Registration will be closed at 50 attendees. If we should reach capacity, the registration form below will be updated and applicants may only register for an open session or to be placed on a waiting list. If there are cancellations, those on the waiting list will be contacted by e-mail.
In order to be eligible an organization must meet the following requirements:
- Be a 501(c)(3) organization in good standing with the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation
- Be located in Jackson County and/or serve primarily Jackson County residents
- Have as its primary mission and/or demonstrate a major programmatic focus and commitment to the service of children and families in crisis in Jackson County
- Agree to make the Chiefs Charity Game its primary fundraiser for the year
- Dedicate a development staff member to focus on the planning and fundraising for the Chiefs Charity Game and commit to securing 1 or 2 chairpersons to lead sales efforts for the event
- Provide 10% of the net proceeds of the Chiefs Charity Game to the Hunt Family Foundation
Preference will be given to organizations that:
- Meet all applicant requirements
- Demonstrate the organizational capacity to carry out the Chiefs Charity Game
- Demonstrate past success in major fundraising efforts
- Present a well-developed plan for the use of the funds raised from the Chiefs Charity Game to be expended over the course of one to three years
- Demonstrate evidence-based results for the clients that it serves
- Have in place an evidenced based model for its programs
- Utilize dollars raised from the Chiefs Charity Game to expand programmatic capacity and/or strengthen the capacity of the organization to deliver evidenced based programs and results
- Have other funding commitments for the organization and can show evidence that the organization has a sustainable funding model in place
Funds raised from the Chiefs Charity Game cannot be used in the following ways:
- As direct gifts to individuals
- To make loans
- For re-granting purposes including scholarships
- To supplant existing funding
To be considered, an organization must submit an initial statement of interest by Friday May 9, 2014, by 5 p.m. Initial statements of interest must be submitted through the online grant application module and those not submitted in this manor will not be accepted.
If selected as a finalist, your organization will complete a full proposal, again through the online grant application module.
- Information Session: Monday, April 14th, 2014 at 9:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.
- Call for Statement of Interest: Monday, April 7th, 2014
- Deadline for Statement of Interest: Friday, May 9, 2014 by 5:00pm
- Selection for Full Proposals Notified (8): Friday, June 6, 2014
- Deadline for Full Proposals: Monday, June 30, 2014 by 5:00pm
- Finalists Notified (4): Thursday, July 17, 2014
- Statement of Interest Deadline Friday, May 9, 2014 at 5 p.m. CDT.
- Full Proposals Deadline Monday, Monday, June 30, 2014 at 5 p.m. CDT.
Procedures for Grant Seekers:
The selection process for the 2015 Chiefs Charity Game Beneficiary had concluded. It is typical for this opportunity to be provided every three years.
Review your organization's Nonprofit Profile to ensure that all information is current. For questions about updating your profile or having REVIEWED status, please contact the Donor Relations and Education Team at 816.842.0388 or email@example.com.
All Statements of Interest forms must be submitted online by 5:00 p.m. CST on the due date through the internet grant application module (iGAM).
Please read the grant guidelines and application instructions in their entirety before you begin an application. If you have technical questions relating to iGAM, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816.627.3429.
- First-time iGAM users will need to create a user name and password via the “New Applicant?” link on the iGAM homepage. Previous iGAM users may log in using their existing iGAM account credentials.
- Users are encouraged to create a single username and password for their organization to be shared among staff.
- If you have forgotten your password, use the “Forgot Password?” field to recover your password.
- Save the iGAM homepage to your web browser in order to access and resume draft applications as well as to review previously submitted applications.
The Statement of Interest form for the Kansas City Chiefs Charity Game can be found here: Kansas City Chiefs Charity Game 2015 Statement of Interest Form.