The Homelessness Trust Funds were established in 1988 at The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation to serve as an endowment for assistance to homeless individuals and those in danger of becoming homeless. Each year, grants are made from the interest income generated by the fund while the principal remains intact. Grants are made to organizations for distribution to eligible individuals. The original donors to the Homelessness Trust Funds placed geographic restrictions on the grants. An advisory committee oversees the funds and all grant decisions. Only one grant per eligible/selected agency will be awarded. Organizations with more than one location must determine which location will apply or how one grant may be split between the different locations.
Thursday, July 10, 2014, by 5:00 p.m.
Grant Restrictions and Requirements:
- Applicant must have current 501(c)(3) status.
- Applicant must have primary office in Jackson County, Missouri or Kansas City, Missouri.
- Applicant mission statement must be directed towards assistance to homeless persons or those at imminent risk of becoming homeless.
- Applicant must offer services on a regular basis as of the date of grant application to persons who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.
- Applicant must be a participant in the MAACLink Homelessness Network. For more information, contact Jill Gillespie at the Mid America Assistance Coalition by calling 816-561-2727 ext. 112.
- Applicant will be required to send those who will perform the MAACLink data entry function to one of two MAACLink trainings in September.
- Applicant must be a dues paying member of the Homeless Services Coalition of Greater Kansas City. You can download the Membership Application from the Homeless Services Center Web site at www.hscgkc.org. For more information, contact Vickie Riddle at 816-924-7997.
- Applicants who have a previously received Homelessness Trust Fund grant must show a zero-balance in the MAACLink database by July 1, 2014 to be considered for a subsequent grant.
Grant funds may be expended for any of the following activities:
- Obtaining and/or reproducing clients' personal identification documents
- Obtaining work-specific clothing
- Commercial storage for clients' personal possessions
- Client transportation
- Obtaining emergency medicines for client
- Obtaining prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses for client or other durable medical equipment.
- Other emergency assistance needs of clients (excluding rent, mortgage and utility deposits and payments; home repair expenses; and normal agency operating costs).
Grant funds may be expended on the following individuals
- Persons receiving grant funds shall verify that they understand themselves to be residents of Kansas City, Missouri, or Jackson County, Missouri.
- Recipients shall have a combined gross income of not more than 150% of the federal poverty guidelines and shall be homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.
Each applicant may request a grant of up to $3,500. Historically, the average grant award has been approximately $3,000. No more than one application will be considered from any applicant.
- Application available online: May 15, 2014
- Deadline: July 10, 2014 at 5:00 pm cst
- Notification: August / September
Applicants will be notified in writing of the decisions of the Homelessness Trust Funds Advisory Committee in late August or early September 2014. Grant checks will be issued at September trainings.
Procedures for Grant Seekers:
Review your organization's Nonprofit Profile to ensure that all information is current. For questions about updating your profile or having REVIEWED status, please contact the Donor Relations and Education Team at 816.842.0388 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications must be submitted online by 5:00 p.m. CST on the due date through the internet grant application module (iGAM).
Please read the grant guidelines and application instructions in their entirety before you begin an application. If you have technical questions relating to iGAM, please contact email@example.com or call 816.627.3429.
- First-time iGAM users will need to create a user name and password via the “New Applicant?” link on the iGAM homepage. Previous iGAM users may log in using their existing iGAM account credentials.
- Users are encouraged to create a single username and password for their organization to be shared among staff.
- If you have forgotten your password, use the “Forgot Password?” field to recover your password.
- Save the iGAM homepage to your web browser in order to access and resume draft applications as well as to review previously submitted applications.
The grant application for the Homelessness Trust Funds can be found here: Homelessness Trust Funds Application