The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation is one of the most well-respected, knowledgeable leaders on charitable giving in the nation. We aim to make giving convenient and efficient for donors, helping them maximize their giving through charitable giving accounts, also known as donor-advised funds.
The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation is a public charity under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3). Our mission is to improve the quality of life in Greater Kansas City by increasing charitable giving, educating and connecting donors to community needs they care about, and leading on critical community issues.
History and Today
The seven founders of the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation passed a hat in 1978, collecting $200 and some change. The Community Foundation was thus begun with an extraordinary idea: Charitable giving should be the responsibility of many, not just a select few. Driven to improve the metropolitan area, the Community Foundation has grown to become one of the largest and most entrepreneurial public charities of its kind.
Today the Community Foundation
- Manages more than $2 billion in assets
- Houses more than 3,300 charitable funds established by individuals, families and businesses to support the charitable causes that are important to them
- Has provided more than $2.3 billion in grants since its inception
- Processes more gift and grant transactions than any other community foundation in the country
- Ranks in the top one percent of more than 700 community foundations in the country in terms of total assets gifts and grants.
By partnering with the Community Foundation, donors receive the simplicity and tax advantages of a public charity combined with the personal recognition, involvement and flexibility of a private foundation. Donors also gain access to the highest level of strategic thinking on ways to meet community challenges.
- Integrity. We conduct our work in an honest and transparent manner, holding ourselves accountable to our commitments and for our words and actions.
- Respect. We value each person as an individual, embracing inclusion and diversity. We always ask "What's important to you?"
- Passion. We believe in the mission of the Foundation. That belief translates into compassion for people and a commitment to our work.
- Innovation. We seek new ideas and approach our work with flexibility, urgency, enthusiasm, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Commitment to Diversity
As the community's foundation, we are committed to promoting equity and inclusion throughout the region we serve, and it is our obligation to model diversity and focus the community conversation on racial equity.
Sound Policies and Practices
The Greater Kansas City Community Foundation has met the National Standards for operational quality, donor service and accountability in the community foundation sector. The Community Foundation is in compliance with the National Standards of U.S. Community Foundations Program administered by the Council on Foundations, a membership body of more than 2,000 grantmaking foundations and giving programs worldwide. This affirms our commitment to financial security, transparency and accountability.